Research has shown that eating a variety of fruits and vegetables can reduce your cancer risk. Contribute to your daily fruit servings and quench your thirst with this fun drink that’s sure to please. Inspired by Italian ice, this concoction is a slushy combination of lycopene-rich watermelon and antioxidant-abundant blueberries that can be enjoyed with a spoon or through a straw as it melts.
- 1 cup 3/4″ cubed seedless red watermelon, frozen*
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tsp. finely-chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Fresh mint, for garnish, optional
In a blender, combine the frozen melon, berries, ginger, juice concentrate, and lime juice. Add 1/4 cup water. Blend until it is icy and fine-textured, stopping to scrap down the sides of the blender two or three times. Pour it into a wide glass, garnish with mint and serve, accompanied by a spoon.
* Freeze peeled, cut-up watermelon in a resealable plastic bag.
Makes 1 serving.
Per serving: 211 calories, less than 1 g. total fat (0 g. saturated fat), 53 g. carbohydrate,
3 g. protein, 4 g. dietary fiber, 20 mg. sodium.